Today’s message is a simple one. Faced with a child who is grappling with learning or behavior or mood challenges parents most often look outwards for help. And certainly there are wonderful resources available out there that can play a significant role in helping kids overcome all kinds of issues.
But there is no more powerful role than that of an emotionally, mentally and physically healthy parent.
I think it is fair to say that today pretty much every mommy and daddy, to a greater or lesser degree:
- Are dealing with life’s stress and pressure.
- Are not as physically healthy as they would like to be.
- Bring their own unfinished emotional business into the parent-child relationship.
Taking kids to all kinds of expensive outside therapies, excellent as they may be, and then bringing them home to a mommy or daddy struggling with their own issues, seems to be somewhat counter-productive. Now I am NOT suggesting that every Mom and Dad needs extensive help or that you need to dramatically change who you are. On the contrary I know you are a loving, caring parent who wants only the very best for your child.
I AM recommending, though, that there are four critical issues that parents need to address in themselves:
- Do I have symptoms indicating medium high to high stress? (See my Stressed or Blessed Quiz).
- Do I have symptoms of chronic inflammation? Pain, weight gain, ADD/ADHD, peripheral neuropathy, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, migraines, thyroid issues, diabetes, dental issues and cancer are just a few of a very long list of common conditions triggered by chronic inflammation.
- Am I eating (and feeding my children) inflammatory foods?
- Am I carrying emotional feelings, such as regret, anger, resentment, sadness, anxiety, fear, negative beliefs, that interfere with the way I respond to my child?
If the answer to any of the above questions is ‘Yes’ then start with some small steps:
- Be serious about making changes that will reduce your stress – even if it is just slightly.
- Become knowledgeable about chronic inflammation. You could start by reading this excellent article by Dr Mark Hyman: http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/10/03/simple-blood-test-save-life/
- Become an expert in inflammatory and anti-inflammatory foods. There is tons of information available online, in my book or on my workshops – one good site is: www.deflame.com
- If you can, visit with me to debug your stress and/or emotional issues. I have a 4-session program that will help YOU heal – so you can be a healing parent.
- Watch my newsletter for announcements about my live and online classes on How to be a Healing Parent.
NOTE: EXTENDING THE DEADLINE ON MY 2 FREE HEALING PARENT VIDEOS
I have had requests to extend the deadline for obtaining these videos FREE. The previous deadline was yesterday (4th August). The extended deadline is now Wednesday 12th August. Thereafter you can purchase the videos at the SHOP on my website.
For those who have not already watched these videos be aware that these 2 unique coaching videos will teach you two powerful tools that will heal you as a parent and at the same time heal your children.
To receive the 2 FREE videos go to www.parentstakecharge.com and click on 2 FREE VIDEOS on the home page. Do it now before you are too late and the FREE offer expires. Once you have watched the videos feel free to ask me any questions you may have as you put the tools into practice.
SOME PICTURES TO MAKE YOU SMILE